27 January 2014

New Guitar Built on Spec - Ready In February

Since I don't do any real experimenting on custom ordered instruments, I like to build a few spec guitars every year to try some new ideas that have been rattling in my head for some time. One of the guitars I'm currently working on is a cedar and Indian rosewood with elevated fingerboard. Check out my Available Now page for complete information and more photos. This guitar is very much a "traditional" instrument, being fan braced, with a Spanish heel and generally light construction. The experiment here is completely in the soundboard thicknessing and bracing with the aim of giving a very firm right hand tension when strung with low or medium gauge strings so that it can be played very hard, has a lot of power and a big dynamic range. I'm also aiming for a really open response at the lowest dynamic level. Hmm, sounds a lot like what I've always aimed for. I suppose this guitar is a different means toward the same goal. Anyways, just a few more weeks....